Saturday, 29 June 2019 04:21

29 June 2019 - Week 1

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

 

29 June 2019 - Week 1

 

For the first week, everybody's root area was cleaned and suspended in a clear plastic cup wih the roots above the level of the water. Since the old roots are programmed for the terrestral environment (meaning they have water poured over them in an organic medium and then allowed to dry), I followed that same pattern.  Sometimes I skip a day.

 

I cut off the spike (forgive me).

 

I trimmed more of the old roots back (forgive me again).  These old roots will NOT acclimate to hydroponics, but the new roots should make the adjustment easily.

 

Alan Koch from Gold Country Orchids, 2003 presentation to the Diablo View Orchid Society

Alan’s last subject was what to do about plants with NO ROOTS! Alan suggests you dip the remaining roots in RootTone or Dip and Grow. Alan always follows up with a spray of 1/64th teaspoon (pinch) of RootTone or equivalent per gallon then spray under the leaves for maximum uptake by the plant. This will stimulate new root growth, hopefully.

(SOURCE)

 

Today, I dipped them in water mixed with a very small amount of Bontone II's Rooting Powder.  Time to get these four candidates interested and motivated in developin new roots.  I dipped the entire orchid so that the leaves would also absorb some of the water / root powder mix.  I also did this early enough in the day so that the water be able to dry (evaporate from any leaf junctions with the stem so rot not occur loosing the leaf and perhaps the entire orchid.  Today I dipped twice, once early in the morning and then mid-day.  I put each orchid back in it's lid and cup with a small amount of water at the bottom to keep the root area moist with evaporating water.  I may dip once again on Wednesday and then again next Saturday. I am not expecting an explosion of new roots come next Saturday (6 July 2019), the orchids should have absorbed enough of the rooting powder to speed up any new root development.  Can only wait and see what happens. 

 

Below is a description of each contender as observed today (29 June 2019).  Be aware that I use a naming scheme only to identify and distinguish these four mini-phals. and that name has nothing to do with recognizing the hybrid's actual identity. I try my best at taking pictures, magnifying and then cropping the photos and sometimes the end result is a sharp image.  I use a quarter for a reference point and scale.  Click on any of the images below to see a slightly larger image in a new tab.  Each image is of the front and back of the Phal.  Use the remaining part of the spike to be your guide for positioning.

 

 

 

 

  

Davos Seaworth: Coming in with 4 leaves, the top and newest leaf is about an inch in length. I removed all dead and weak roots.  The current roots look and feel healthy so hopefully after being dipped in  root hormone mixed water - new roots will start to develop.

Tyrion Lannister: Coming in with 4 leaves, the top and newest leaf is about an inch in length. I removed all dead and weak roots.  The current roots look and feel healthy so hopefully after being dipped in  root hormone mixed water - new roots will start to develop.  And yes - I did cut the old spike all the way back after this picture was taken.

 

 

 

Littlefinger: Coming in with 4 leaves, the top and newest leaf is about an inch in length. I removed all dead and weak roots.  The current roots look and feel healthy so hopefully after being dipped in  root hormone mixed water - new roots will start to develop.

 

I am concerned that the leaves are showing signs of dehydration (a slight wrinkle / ridge parallel to the stem of the leaf with a slight flimsy leather feel).  Hopefully watering will correct this situation, or worst case scenerio, it grow a new leaf faster then expected due to the new condition (more watering now then it got from the nursery and grocery store).  It does have 2 new young roots that I would consider acclimating as they are less than an inch in length.  I will keep an eye on it, and make a decision on Wednesday as to course of action.

 

 

 

The Hound: Coming in with 4 leaves, the top and newest leaf is about an inch in length. I removed all dead and weak roots.  The current roots look and feel healthy so hopefully after being dipped in root hormone mixed water - new roots will start to develop.

 

 

There is no need to be any new photos taken and shared until roots have started to make their presence known.  Once a week for my own reference, I will measure the progress of new root development with a photo library.

 

Read 1087 times Last modified on Thursday, 01 August 2019 19:26
  • No comments found

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0
Your comments are subjected to administrator's moderation.

DISCLAIMER

All information presented here is for educational and informational purposes only under the guidelines of "Fair Use" policies defined by US Copyright law(s).  Some images and select text are protected by respective copyright holders. Material presented here is done so as educational, and "as is".  The Napa Valley Orchid Society, it's executive Board, General members and the web site maintainer cannot be held liable for any damages incurred.

When necessary, images and texts will be fully credited to the original.

Information here may be used by other orchid societies as long as they credit the original creator and at least mention the Napa Valley Orchid Website as a courtesy.

TOP